Shop today! Start your puppy or kitten off on the right paw in 2020! Petco at Patriot Place has a variety of options best for your pet. Unsure where to start?
Start your puppy or kitten off on the right paw in 2020! Petco at Patriot Place has a variety of options best for your pet. Unsure where to start? Visit Petco in South Marketplace, and one of Petco’s sales associates will be happy to assist!
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Your Pet
Providing your dog a well-balanced diet is key in maintaining their health. But before you choose a pet food, there are a variety of factors to consider. Knowing whether to shop by life stage, breed, or dietary restrictions will help you create an effective nutrition plan. Keep reading to learn more about choosing the best dog food for your pet!
Shopping by life stage and breed size
- All dogs do not eat the same food. They need different ingredients to cater to their nutritional needs as they are growing and developing. At Petco, we take this a step further by ensuring we carry top brands that supply artificial-free pet food and treats. Here are a few of the ways you can shop:
- Puppy Food – In the early stages your pet needs wholesome meals that support their growing bodies. Puppy formulas with extra nutrients help keep them satisfied and provide ample amounts of protein. They also contain ingredients that sustain bone health, promote strong teeth, and proper digestion.
- Adult dog food – When your furry pal reaches 90% of their expected adult weight, it’s time to leave the puppy food behind. Instead of supporting growth, adult formulas help maintain their bodies. Incorporating your dog’s eating habits and lifestyle into the selection process will help you find a food ideal for their diet.
- Senior Dog Food – As your dog grows older, they need food that supports the aging process. Senior formulas crafted with special needs in mind, including hip and joint health, weight management, digestion, and other issues , ensure your pet is getting the nutrition they require.
- Small Breed Dog Food – Small and toy size dogs need kibble adapted to their tinier mouths. This helps prevent choking and improves digestion. Since they have higher energy levels, small breed food is formulated with increased protein and carbohydrates to keep them fueled throughout the day.
- Large Breed Dog Food – Large and giant breed dogs are prone to musculoskeletal problems, orthopedic disease, obesity, and bloat. Formulas with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health and a balance of other nutrients play a big role in providing complete nutrition.
Dry, Wet, or Grain Free: Which Cat Food Is Best?
Keeping your cat on a balanced diet is vital to their overall health and wellness. And because every cat is different, their food is available in many different textures, ingredients and flavors. So, how do you find the best cat food? Although there are several different types of cat food available, the most popular choices tend to be dry, wet, or grain-free cat food. While each type will provide your cat with a nutritious diet, one option may outshine the others when it comes down to your pet’s specific needs. The best way to decide is to consider your lifestyle, consult your vet, and check out reviews and ratings.
- If you have a fairly low-maintenance feline, a tight budget or a hectic lifestyle, you and your cat may prefer the simplicity and easy storage of dry cat food. Many cat food brands carry a dry kibble option that is easy to store and serve while still providing your cat with great nutritional benefits. Some dry cat food brands can even be better for your feline’s teeth. However, you should still find other ways to promote the health of your pet’s teeth, because kibble is no substitute for complete cat dental care.
- If your cat prefers a fancier feast, they may enjoy the alluring aroma, taste and texture of wet cat food brands as they are closer to the taste of a fresh hunt than dry cat food. These three irresistible features can be just what your feline needs if they have lost interest in their dry cat food or if they’re having a harder time chewing kibble. Wet cat food also offers the important component of moisture which keeps finicky cats from getting dehydrated and can also assist in the absorption of Taurine- an amino acid essential to your cat’s overall health.
- Grain free cat food brands have gained popularity recently. Some cats have allergies or sensitivity to grains that can result in itchy, dry skin and upset tummies. Grain free food offers them the best option for a nutritionally balanced diet through the removal of grains and the addition of ingredients such as sweet potatoes or vegetables. Consult with your vet before introducing your cat to a grain free diet as it may not offer the balance your cat needs if they are not allergic.
- Offer your pet a taste test today and shop Petco’s wide selection of the best cat food brands.
Petco(508) 216-2100 380 Patriot Place Foxborough, MA 02035